Open call for OpenActive advisory board applications
Sport England and the Open Data Institute are joining forces to help people find sport and physical activity opportunities with data
Publishing data about sport and physical activity sessions can help attract new customers, give them a better experience and streamline processes.
Sport England and the ODI are creating an advisory board of representatives from across the physical activity sector, and external experts with relevant experience. The board will provide strategic direction, decision making and support for the physical activity initiative.
The board’s responsibilities will be:
- to provide external oversight on the direction of the programme and the results - validating the work that the ODI is doing
- to help identify and overcome any risks and obstacles, as well as flagging opportunities
- to engage with the sector, promote the work that we are doing, and to ensure that the sector has ownership of the initiative
- to help plan future phases, within a framework provided by the ODI and Sport England
Alongside the advisory board itself, the pool of experts who are able to advise on specific areas of focus will be extended.
For more information on what the board will do and how, please visit our OpenActive Advisory Board terms of reference.
Participate in the advisory board
The advisory board will be as transparent and open as possible in its work, and invite views from a wide spectrum of stakeholders. As such, we are holding an initial call for participants.
Participants may be from trade bodies or specific organisations, and should be from senior or mid-level management. We are specifically looking for individuals who have experience in one or more of the following topics:
- Training on open data and standards
- Defining standards
- Opening up data (both those who have already opened up data and those who have not)
- Innovative uses of open data
- Consumer representation/behavioural change
We recommend that board members consider an initial term of six months to a year, but are welcome to serve longer. We initially propose that meetings will be held every 2-3 months, but the format and schedule will be up to the board to decide.
While you will not be paid for your involvement, your involvement will provide you with:
- a chance to ensure that your part of the sector is listened to, understood and included in discussions
- voting rights on decisions relating to the OpenActive programme and data standards
- insight into the strategic direction of the programme before it is publicly available
- a chance to form connections with other industry experts on the board
How to apply
The call for applications is open. If you are interested, please send us your details through our OpenActive advisory board application form.
Applications must be received through the above form by close of play on Monday 9 January 2017. We will then consider the balance of applicants, and will inform you whether you have been successful or not by midday on Friday 20 January 2017.
We aim to hold the first board meeting during the first two weeks of February 2017.
If you have any further questions on the advisory board, please get in touch using [email protected].