Open call for export-ready UK startups to win an expenses-paid investment trip to Mexico City
The Open Data Institute invites your startup to apply for the Mexico-UK Data Enterprise competition, a bespoke one-week programme in Mexico for UK-based data startups
Are you a data-driven startup? Are you export-ready? Are you looking to expand overseas?
The ODI is selecting 5 UK data-driven startups to take part in an expenses-paid investment trip to Mexico. Over the course of the week, startups will gain unprecedented access to Mexico’s emerging market.
The competition will take place at the 2016 ODI Summit and Awards, on 1 November 2016 at the BFI London Southbank. We will invite 10 finalists to present a short pitch about their startups, followed by a Q&A with a panel of expert judges from the UK and Mexico.
Five winners will each receive a place in the Mexico-UK Data Enterprise Bootcamp, in which they will meet investors and present to multinational corporations. Winners will also be supported with peer-to-peer learning, data skills and business training.
Who can apply?
Startups are welcome to apply if they:
- Are export-ready
- Use or produce data as a core part of their business
- Demonstrate triple-bottom-line impact: economic, social or environment
- See business opportunities in Mexico
- Have potential to contribute to trade between the UK and Mexico
- Have a product or service that would appeal to the Mexican or Latin American market
What's the prize for the winners?
- One place per startup to attend the Mexico-UK Data Enterprise Bootcamp (programme cost)
- A funded trip for one person in the team to Mexico (flights, accommodation and essential expenses)
How can I apply?
Please be as clear as possible in your presentation slides and video. This will be a critical factor in the initial assessment. You can find our recommended slide-deck template here.
We will score applications by the following factors:
- The strength of the startup business
- Their market opportunity in Mexico
- Their potential benefit from working in Mexico
- The strength of their team
- Their market timing
- Their potential scale
- Their use of data
- Their social, environmental and/or economic impact
- The applicability of their product or service to the Mexican or Latin American market
- Applications will close at 5pm on Friday 28 October 2016
- 10 finalists will be notified on Tuesday 2 November 2016
- Finalists will be invited to an event hosted at the 2016 ODI Summit and Awards, 1 November 2016 at the BFI London Southbank, where they will get the opportunity to showcase their products
- Five winners will be selected by an international judging panel and announced at the ODI Summit
- The Mexico-UK Data Enterprise Bootcamp in Mexico will take place from 21–28 November 2016.
If you’d like more information, please contact [email protected].
The Mexico-UK Data Enterprise Bootcamp is being run by Labora, an open data accelerator based in Mexico City. Launched in 2016, the project is a collaboration between the Open Data Office within the Office of the President of Mexico, the Open Data Institute and Demos, with the support of the British Embassy in Mexico.